What Is Truth?
"Pilate said to Him, "So You are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Every one who is of the truth hears My voice." Pilate said to Him, "What is truth?" After he had said this, he went out to the Jews again, and told them, "I find no crime in Him." (John 18:37-38 RSV)
Whether spoken out of sarcasm, or frustration, or as an honest question, the words of Pontius Pilate, "What is truth?" have become famous to millions of people. Ironically, and criminally, despite his question about truth, Pilate then knowingly ordered the brutal execution (see How Did Jesus Christ Die?) of an innocent man, the man Who brought truth into the world.
What Is Truth?
- "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to The Father, but by Me." (John 14:6 RSV) (see The Way)
- "But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from The Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from The Father, He will bear witness to Me." (John 15:26 RSV) (see The Father and The Holy Spirit In Your Life)
- "Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth." (John 17:17 RSV) (see By The Book)
- "For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." (John 1:17 RSV)
- "In Him you also, who have heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and have believed in Him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit." (Ephesians 1:13 RSV) (see The Gospel)
- "The Rock, His work is perfect; for all His ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and right is He." (Deuteronomy 32:4 RSV) (see Rock Of Ages and The Logos)
- "Thou didst come down upon Mount Sinai [see Mount Sinai and Bible Places], and speak with them from heaven and give them right ordinances and true laws, good statutes and commandments, and Thou didst make known to them thy holy Sabbath [see Remember The Sabbath Day] and command them commandments and statutes and a law by Moses Thy servant." (Nehemiah 9:13-14 RSV) (see The Ten Commandments and The Ten Commandments Now?)
- "For He will render to every man according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, He will give Eternal Life; but for those who are factious and do not obey the truth, but obey wickedness, there will be wrath and fury." (Romans 2:6-8 RSV)
What Isn't Truth?
- "This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me; in vain do they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men. You leave the commandment of God, and hold fast the tradition of men." (Mark 7:6-8 RSV) (see Sweet Nuthins')
- "Let no one deceive you with empty words, for it is because of these things that the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience." (Ephesians 5:6 RSV)
- "See to it that no one makes a prey of you by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ." (Colossians 2:8 RSV)
- "For they are a rebellious people, lying sons, sons who will not hear the instruction of The Lord; who say to the seers, "See not"; and to the prophets, "Prophesy not to us what is right; speak to us smooth things, prophesy illusions, leave the way, turn aside from the path, let us hear no more of the Holy One of Israel." (Isaiah 30:9-11 RSV)
Fact Finder: Will the truth make you free?
Christian Living Index | Daily Bible Study Home Page
This Week's Bible Quiz
1. After the Israelites crossed into the promised land, what body of water did God say was to be their western boundary?
2. What body of water did God say was to be Israel's eastern boundary?
3. In what body of water was Pharaoh's army drowned?
4. What was the name of the brook where ravens brought food to Elijah?
5. What is the name of the brook that Jesus Christ crossed when He went from the city to The Mount Of Olives on the night He was arrested? (see also The Fateful Night)
6. In what river did John The Baptist baptize Jesus Christ?
7. What sea was earlier called the Valley of Siddim?
8. What is the name of the river that Jacob forded on the night that God renamed him Israel?
9. What are the names of the 4 rivers that flowed from the Garden of Eden?
10. Near what body of water did Jesus feed the 4,000? (see also Miracles Of Jesus Christ)
For the answers to this June 6 2000 quiz, see the Bible Quiz Answers Page