Valley Of Kidron
The Valley Of Kidron is located along the eastern side of Jerusalem, between the Temple Mount (see Mount Moriah) and the Mount of Olives. Many important events of Bible History have occurred, and many tremendous events of Bible Prophecy will occur, in or very near the Valley Of Kidron.
- Jesus Christ traveled through the Kidron Valley many times to and from Jerusalem, including on His way to visit Lazarus at Bethany, the Triumphal Entry in which He rode a Donkey from the Mount of Olives to the city, or crossing the valley from the "Last Supper" to the Garden of Gethsemane where He was arrested That Fateful Night.
- The Pool of Gihon is located in the Kidron Valley. The Brook Kidron runs through the valley during the wet season, but remains dry much of the year.
- To the south of the city the Kidron joins the Valley Of Hinnom.
- King David crossed the Kidron Valley to escape his rebellious son Absalom (2 Samuel 15:23,30).
- King Asa (see Kings of Israel and Judah) burned his grandmother's pagan Asherah pole in the Kidron Valley (1 Kings 15:13), and the evil Athaliah was executed there (2 Kings 11:16). It became for some time a dumping place for destroyed pagan items (2 Chronicles 29:16, 30:14). By the time of King Josiah, the Kidron Valley had become the city cemetery (2 Kings 23:6, Jeremiah 26:23). For this reason, the valley has been of much interest to archaeologists.
Fact Finder: Did God say that the Kidron Valley will in the future be made holy?