Make a Donation
About The Author
Holy Day Calendar
Free Online Bibles
Bible Reading Plan
|Get Daily Bible Study on Facebook||Get Daily Bible Study on Twitter Follow @WayneBlank|
by Wayne Blank
Although she was by all accounts always loyal to Jacob, the sentiment was not returned to the same degree - they were not one of the greatest "love stories" of The Bible. Jacob actually loved Rachel, Leah's younger sister, and they were intended to be married, but because of the custom that the older must be married first, Laban, Leah's father, resorted to a wedding-night switch in the darkness. In the morning, Jacob discovered that Leah had become his wife. Laban then permitted Jacob to also marry Rachel a week later. (Genesis 29:15-30)
Jacob's continued second-rate regard for Leah apparently never ended. Years later, when he was about to meet his brother Esau for the first time since their bitter parting (see Rebekah), Jacob thought full-well that Esau would attack with his 400 men (Genesis 32:6), so he put Leah and her children near the front of the line, and kept Rachel and her children safely in the rear. (Genesis 33:2)
Who are some of Leah's descendants?
Judah (from whom the Jews originated), Levi (from whom came the Levites), Moses, Aaron, King David, Elizabeth, John The Baptist, Barnabas, Peter, Joseph, and through His mother Mary, Jesus Christ Himself.
When Leah died, she was buried in the family tomb in Hebron, known today as the Tomb of The Patriarchs, along with Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebekah, and Jacob/Israel (Genesis 49:31).
Fact Finder: Was the memory of Leah used as a blessing for Ruth?
This Week's Bible Quiz
What is the name of the missing place? (Revised Standard Version)
1. "an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, "Rise, take the child and His mother, and flee to _______"
2. "Then Herod, when he saw that he had been tricked by the wise men, was in a furious rage, and he sent and killed all the male children in _______ and in all that region who were two years old or under"
3. "Then Jesus came from Galilee to the _______ to John, to be baptized by him"
4. "As He walked by the Sea of _______, He saw two brothers, Simon who is called Peter and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen"
5. "Woe to you, Chorazin! woe to you, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works done in you had been done in _______ and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes"
6. "The queen of the _______ will arise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here"
7. "And when they drew near to Jerusalem and came to Bethphage, to the Mount of _______"
8. "And Jesus entered the _______ of God and drove out all who sold and bought in the _______, and He overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons."
9. "So when you see the desolating sacrilege spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place, let the reader understand, then let those who are in _______ flee to the mountains"
10. "And when they came to a place called _______, which means the place of a skull, they offered Him wine to drink, mingled with gall; but when He tasted it, He would not drink it."
For the answers to this May 29 2001 quiz, see the Bible Quiz Answers Page