Make a Donation
About The Author
Holy Day Calendar
Free Online Bibles
Bible Reading Plan
|Get Daily Bible Study on Facebook||Get Daily Bible Study on Twitter Follow @WayneBlank|
by Wayne Blank
Jacob Becomes "Israel"
"The same night he arose and took his two wives [see Leah and Rachel], his two maids, and his eleven children [see Children of Jacob], and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. He took them and sent them across the stream, and likewise everything that he had. And Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and Jacob's thigh was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. Then he said, "Let me go, for the day is breaking." But Jacob said, "I will not let you go, unless you bless me." And he said to him, "What is your name?" And he said, "Jacob." Then he said, "Your name shall no more be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed." (Genesis 32:22-28 RSV)
Rahab And The Spies
Just before the Israelites crossed into the Promised Land, Joshua sent two spies across the fords of the Jordan:
"Then the king of Jericho sent to Rahab, saying, "Bring forth the men that have come to you, who entered your house; for they have come to search out all the land." But the woman had taken the two men and hidden them; and she said, "True, men came to me, but I did not know where they came from; and when the gate was to be closed, at dark, the men went out; where the men went I do not know; pursue them quickly, for you will overtake them." But she had brought them up to the roof, and hid them with the stalks of flax which she had laid in order on the roof. So the men pursued after them on the way to the Jordan as far as the fords; and as soon as the pursuers had gone out, the gate was shut." (Joshua 2:3-7 RSV)
By their nature, fords were strategic military points of access:
"And the Gileadites took the fords of the Jordan against the Ephraimites. And when any of the fugitives of Ephraim said, "Let me go over," the men of Gilead said to him, "Are you an Ephraimite?" When he said, "No," they said to him, "Then say Shibboleth," and he said, "Sibboleth," for he could not pronounce it right; then they seized him and slew him at the fords of the Jordan. And there fell at that time forty-two thousand of the Ephraimites." (Judges 12:5-6 RSV)
Fact Finder: Did the Euphrates River in Babylon have fords?
This Week's Bible Quiz
What's the missing word? (Revised Standard Version)
1. "For as _______ was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."
2. "And He was transfigured before them, and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became white as light. And behold, there appeared to them Moses and _______, talking with Him."
3. "Again I tell you, it is easier for a _______ to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
4. "For as the _______ comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of man."
5. "Then one of the twelve, who was called Judas _______, went to the chief priests and said, "What will you give me if I deliver Him to you?"
6. "Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Where will you have us prepare for You to eat the _______?"
7. "Now as they were eating, Jesus took _______, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is My body."
8. "Then those who had seized Jesus led him to _______ the high priest, where the scribes and the elders had gathered."
9. "And they had then a notorious prisoner, called _______. So when they had gathered, Pilate said to them, "Whom do you want me to release for you, _______ or Jesus who is called Christ?"
10. "And Jesus cried again with a loud voice and yielded up His spirit. And behold, the curtain of the _______ was torn in two, from top to bottom; and the earth shook, and the rocks were split"
For the answers to this July 17 2001 quiz, see the Bible Quiz Answers Page