Make a Donation
About The Author
Holy Day Calendar
Free Online Bibles
Bible Reading Plan
|Get Daily Bible Study on Facebook||Get Daily Bible Study on Twitter Follow @WayneBlank|
by Wayne Blank
Nine Dynasties In Israel
The northern kingdom of Israel lasted just over 200 years before they were conquered and taken away into exile by the Assyrians. They never returned, and have become known to history as the "Lost Ten Tribes of Israel." See Ancient Empires - Assyria and Jews At War With Israel.
The northern kingdom of Israel had 9 dynasties, with a total of 19 kings:
One Dynasty In Judah
The southern kingdom of Judah lasted slightly over 300 years before they were conquered and taken into exile by the Babylonians under King Nebuchadnezzar. Unlike the northern kingdom however, a remnant of the southern kingdom was allowed to return and resettle Jerusalem in the time of Ezra and Nehemiah after the Babylonians were themselves conquered by the Persians under Cyrus the Great. Their descendants are known as the Jews of today.
The southern kingdom of Judah had only one dynasty, that of David, with a total of 19 kings and the temporary usurper Athaliah from the northern kingdom.
Kings of Israel and Judah
Fact Finder: Was Jesus Christ of the line of King David?
This Week's Bible Quiz
True or false?
1. The father of John The Baptist was named Zechariah.
2. The mother of John the Baptist was named Elizabeth.
3. John the Baptist was about 6 months older than Jesus Christ.
4. John the Baptist's birth was a miracle from God because his mother was beyond the age of child bearing.
5. John the Baptist's mother and the mother of Jesus Christ were related.
6. John the Baptist was almost named Zechariah when he was born.
7. Before Jesus Christ began His public ministry, many people believed that John the Baptist might be the messiah.
8. John the Baptist was imprisoned by Herod the tetrarch after he rebuked Herod for his immorality.
9. John the Baptist was in prison when Jesus Christ began His public ministry.
10. John the Baptist did not consume alcohol.
For the answers to this July 24 2001 quiz, see the Bible Quiz Answers Page