The Anointed One
by Wayne Blank
"We have found the Messiah"
It was John The Baptist who announced that the Messiah had arrived:
"And John bore witness, "I saw the Spirit descend as a dove from heaven, and it remained on Him. I myself did not know Him; but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on Whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God."
"God anointed Jesus of Nazareth"
"And Peter opened his mouth and said: "Truly I perceive that God shows no partiality, but in every nation any one who fears Him and does what is right is acceptable to Him. You know the word which He sent to Israel, preaching good news of peace by Jesus Christ, He is Lord of all, the word which was proclaimed throughout all Judea, beginning from Galilee after the baptism which John preached: how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power; how He went about doing good and healing all that were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him."
Fact Finder: Did Jesus Christ plainly identify Himself as the Anointed One that the Old Testament prophets said would come?
This Week's Bible Quiz
What's the missing word from these statements made by Jesus Christ? (Revised Standard Version)
1. "Man shall not live by _______ alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God." (Matthew 4:4)
2. "Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to _______ them." (Matthew 5:17)
3. "And He said, "Truly, I say to you, no _______ is acceptable in his own country." (Luke 4:24)
4. "unless you _______ you will all likewise perish" (Luke 13:5)
5. "why do you transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your _______?" (Matthew 15:3)
6. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first _______." (Matthew 22:37-38)
7. "You shall _______ your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39)
8. "For as the _______ comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of man." (Matthew 24:27)
9. "and He will send out His _______ with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other" (Matthew 24:31)
10. "As were the days of _______, so will be the coming of the Son of man." (Matthew 24:37)
For the answers to this December 25 2001 quiz, see the Bible Quiz Answers Page