Make a Donation
About The Author
Holy Day Calendar
Free Online Bibles
Bible Reading Plan
|Get Daily Bible Study on Facebook||Get Daily Bible Study on Twitter Follow @WayneBlank|
The "Righteous" Ones
by Wayne Blank
The name Sadducee is believed to have originated from 3 possibilities: (1) Those of Zadok. They claim descent from Zadok, a high priest during the time of King David. (2) The righteous ones, based on the Hebrew word for righteous. (3) Judges or controllers, from the Greek word syndikoi.
Very little has survived from the Sadducees. The only record of them is found in the New Testament, plus some writings from the Jewish-Roman historian Flavius Josephus, and a few scattered rabbinic texts.
The first reference to them in The Bible is by John The Baptist, a highly righteous man of God. When a group of Sadducees and Pharisees came out to John where he was baptizing by the Jordan, he said to them, "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruit that befits repentance, and do not presume to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father'; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham." (Matthew 3:7-9 RSV).
John, and later Jesus Christ Himself, did not think very highly of the Sadducees. Why? Because by that time the Sadducees had become proud, self-righteous, Hypocrites. The Lord said to have nothing to do with them, or their teachings (Matthew 16:11-12).
Other known facts about the Sadducees:
Fact Finder: What do "works" mean to a Christian?
This Week's Bible Quiz
1. What was King David's father's name?
2. What was the name of Esther's cousin who raised her as his own daughter after she was orphaned?
3. What was Esther's actual name?
4. Which is longer, Proverbs or Psalms?
5. How many Psalms are there in The Bible?
6. Who is The Book Of Acts addressed to?
7. How many days after His resurrection did Jesus Christ ascend into heaven?
8. What was the name of the man who was chosen by the apostles to replace the traitor Judas?
9. What method was used to choose the man who was chosen by the apostles to replace the traitor Judas?
10. Which of the seven deacons was falsely accused and martyred soon after he was chosen as a deacon?
For the answers to this June 25 2002 quiz, see the Bible Quiz Answers Page
Daily Bible Study Library
Thousands of Studies!
By The Book
The Spirit World