Make a Donation
About The Author
Holy Day Calendar
Free Online Bibles
Bible Reading Plan
|Get Daily Bible Study on Facebook||Get Daily Bible Study on Twitter Follow @WayneBlank|
Lights and Perfections
by Wayne Blank
The Urim and Thummim were priestly objects used by Aaron and his successors. Their meaning in Hebrew is something like lights and perfections, which merely adds to the curiosity about them. They are first mentioned in the above verses in Exodus, with no previous explanation of their origin, construction, appearance, or specifically how they worked.
What we do know is that they were physical objects, perhaps precious stones or metal, that were placed in the breastplate (shown in the illustration) of the high priest. They were somehow used to determine the will of God in matters affecting the nation.
There are two primary theories regarding the Urim and Thummin. The first is that they were used as some sort of device for casting lots, the result somehow revealing God's will. The second is that they served as a symbol of the high priest's authority to seek the will of God.
A few verses regarding the Urim and Thummin:
"And he placed the breastpiece on him, and in the breastpiece he put the Urim and the Thummim." (Leviticus 8:8 RSV)
Fact Finder: Were both Aaron and Jesus Christ chosen by God to serve as High Priests?
This Week's Bible Quiz
1. What was the name of the man to whom the Book of Acts written?
2. What was the name of the man who replaced Judas Iscariot as an apostle?
3. On what Biblical Holy Day did the Holy Spirit come upon the church?
4. Who is considered to be the first Christian martyr?
5. What was the name of the sorcerer who attempted to buy the powers of The Holy Spirit?
6. Where was Saul going when he was struck down and converted into Paul?
7. What was the name of the woman that Peter raised from the dead in Joppa?
8. What was the name of the young man who Paul raised from the dead after he fell from a third-floor window?
9. Where was Saul/Paul born?
10. What was the name of the island on which Paul was shipwrecked?
For the answers to this August 27 2002 quiz, see the Bible Quiz Answers Page
Daily Bible Study Library
Thousands of Studies!
By The Book
The Spirit World