Many areas of the world are experiencing severe drought right now. Some cities have ordered cut-backs in water usage. Farm crops, that nearly everyone depends upon for food, have been badly damaged, or lost completely in some places. Even small lakes have dried up (as seen in the photograph - a high and dry boater's marker post).
Humans have been experiencing droughts since the very earliest times, as The Bible so often records. Sometimes it was caused by natural cycles, but often it was used by God to get the people's attention, as a reminder of just Who has the power to turn it on, for those who obey Him, or off, for those who have gone their own way.
A few examples from Bible History, and a glimpse of things to come from Bible Prophecy (from the Revised Standard Version) -
- "no plant of the field was yet in the earth and no herb of the field had yet sprung up - for The Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth." (Genesis 2:5) (see The Seven Days Of Creation)
- "So Moses went out of the city from Pharaoh, and stretched out his hands to The Lord [see Rock Of Ages]; and the thunder and the hail ceased, and the rain no longer poured upon the earth." (Exodus 9:33)
- "The Lord will open to you His good treasury the heavens, to give the rain of your land in its season and to bless all the work of your hands." (the blessings of obedience, Deuteronomy 28:12)
- "and the anger of The Lord be kindled against you, and He shut up the heavens, so that there be no rain, and the land yield no fruit, and you perish quickly off the good land which The Lord gives you." (the curse of disobedience, Deuteronomy 11:17)
- "Now Elijah the Tishbite, of Tishbe in Gilead, said to Ahab, "As The Lord, The God of Israel lives, before Whom I stand, there shall be neither dew nor rain these years, except by my word." (1 Kings 17:1)
- "They do not say in their hearts, "Let us fear The Lord our God, Who gives the rain in its season, the autumn rain and the spring rain, and keeps for us the weeks appointed for the harvest." (Jeremiah 5:24)
- "Are there any among the false gods of the nations that can bring rain? Or can the heavens give showers? Art thou not He, O Lord our God? We set our hope on Thee, for Thou doest all these things." (Jeremiah 14:22)
- "A drought upon her waters, that they may be dried up! For it is a land of images, and they are mad over Idols." (Jeremiah 50:38)
- "And I also withheld the rain from you when there were yet three months to the harvest; I would send rain upon one city, and send no rain upon another city; one field would be rained upon, and the field on which it did not rain withered." (Amos 4:7)
- "And if any of the families of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, The Lord of hosts, there will be no rain upon them." (Zechariah 14:17) (see The Kingdom of God)
- "They have power to shut the sky, that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to smite the earth with every plague, as often as they desire. (Revelation 11:6) (see The Two Witnesses)
Fact Finder: How long did the prophet Elijah cause a drought to last? Did he use prayer to both begin, and end, the drought?