Very often, when people think of riding animals of The Bible, the Camel or the Donkey come immediately to mind. Horses however are mentioned all the way through from Genesis to Revelation, filling a very important role in both Bible History and Bible Prophecy.
- "So Joseph [see Coat Of Many Colors] went up to bury his father [that is, Jacob], and with him went up all the servants of Pharaoh, the elders of his household and all the elders of the land of Egypt, and all the household of Joseph and his brothers and his father's household; they left only their little ones and their flocks and their herds in The Land Of Goshen. There also went up with him both chariots and horsemen; and it was a very great company." (Genesis 50:7-9)
- "So Moses stretched out his hand over the sea [see Where Did They Cross The Sea?] , and the sea returned to its normal state at daybreak, while the Egyptians were fleeing right into it; then The Lord [see Rock Of Ages] overthrew the Egyptians in the midst of the sea. The waters returned and covered the Chariots and the horsemen, even Pharaoh's entire army that had gone into the sea after them; not even one of them remained. But the sons of Israel walked on dry land through the midst of the sea, and the waters were like a wall to them on their right hand and on their left." (Exodus 14:27-29)
- "The king [that is, Solomon] made silver as common as stones in Jerusalem, and he made Cedars as plentiful as sycamore trees that are in the lowland. Also Solomon's import of horses was from Egypt and Kue, and the king's merchants procured them from Kue for a price. A chariot was imported from Egypt for 600 shekels of silver, and a horse for 150; and by the same means they exported them to all the kings of the Hittites and to the kings of the Arameans." (1 Kings 10:27-29)
- "I looked, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer. When He broke the second seal [see The Seven Seals], I heard the second living creature saying, Come. And another, a red horse, went out; and to him who sat on it, it was granted to take peace from the earth, and that men would slay one another; and a great sword was given to him. When He broke the third seal, I heard the third living creature saying, Come. I looked, and behold, a black horse; and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand. And I heard something like a voice in the center of the four living creatures saying, A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and do not damage the oil and the wine. When the Lamb broke the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, Come. I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth." (Revelation 6:2-8)
- "And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war. His eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many diadems; and He has a name written on Him which no one knows except Himself. He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. And the armies which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him on white horses [see The Return Of Jesus Christ]. From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty. And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS." (Revelation 19:11-16)
Fact Finder: Does Bible prophecy metaphorically describe aircraft with the "sound of their wings like the thundering of many horses and chariots rushing into battle"?
See also Old Testament Aircraft?