Signs In The Heavens
Christians are naturally interested in heaven. Many rightfully
look forward to going there eventually, according to God's plan and schedule. But
what exactly, or where exactly, is heaven?
The term we know as heaven is the English translation of the original
two words in the Bible. The Hebrew word in the Old Testament is
pronounced roughly shaw-may, and the Greek word in the New Testament is
pronounced roughly, oo-ran-aws. Both mean the same thing - either
the sky, or the outer space above it, depending on the context of what
the writer was talking about. Sky or space are quite accurate
modern substitutes for heaven.
If you happen to be someone interested in astronomy, the years ahead
are going to provide you with many interesting observing sessions.
No one, in fact, will miss it. There is a lot about to happen up there.
Some coming attractions:
- "...the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the
stars [meteorites] will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies
will be shaken. At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear
in the sky..." (Matthew 24:29-30)
- "After He said this, He was taken up before their very eyes, and a
cloud hid Him from their sight"..."why do you stand here looking into
the sky? This same Jesus, Who has been taken from you into heaven,
will come back in the same way you have seen Him go into heaven"
(Acts 1:9,11). See The Return Of Jesus Christ
- "something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea"
(Revelation 8:8). See A Huge Mountain, All Ablaze and The Apostle John.
- "a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky" (Revelation 8:10)
- "a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of
the stars, so that a third of them turned dark. A third of the day
was without light, and also a third of the night" (Revelation 8:12). See The Seven Seals
- "And he performed great and powerful signs, even causing fire to come
down from heaven to earth in full view of men" (Revelation 13:13). See The Great False Prophet
- "I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the
third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not
know - God knows. And I know that this man - whether in the body or
apart from the body I do not know, but God knows - was caught up to
Paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that a man is not
permitted to tell" (2 Corinthians 12:2-4). See On The Road To Damascus
- "But in keeping with His promise, we are looking forward to a new
heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness" (2 Peter 3:13). See Why Were You Born?
Fact Finder: In which direction did the "star" of Bethlehem rise?
(a) north (b) south (c) east (d) west