Make a Donation
About The Author
Holy Day Calendar
Free Online Bibles
Bible Reading Plan
|Get Daily Bible Study on Facebook||Get Daily Bible Study on Twitter Follow @WayneBlank|
The First Commandment
by Wayne Blank
The Creator Is The Only True God
The Creator, the God of Israel, the God of The Holy Bible, made all that exists, including all of the living or lifeless things, or mere ideas (i.e. any political philosophy that one lives by that is contrary to the Word of God, or any science that denies the existence of the Creator of all natural laws of science - see The First Scientist) that humans have made into "gods" - but which in fact are all merely objects created by the Creator.
Only the Creator has the power to be God; looking to anything, or anyone, else for salvation is literally a dead end. This includes anything that is deemed "more important right now" than worship and obedience to the only true God, or worshipping the true God in a manner contrary to His Word (see I Did It My Way...)
Many people, when they read the First Commandment's reference to ancient Egypt feel as though it does not apply to them. They do not appreciate that the "out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage" refers not only to the ancient physical Exodus of God's people, but to how God's people are delivered today from slavery to sin, from bondage to Satan, the "other god of this world" (see Who Still Rules The World Today?). Just as Moses was the deliverer of physical Israelites, so Jesus Christ is the Deliverer of spiritual Israelites:
"they will repent and come to know the Truth, and they may escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will." (2 Timothy 2:25-26 RSV)
"Other gods" have a contagious worthlessness - those who worship worthless gods become worthless in God's sight:
"Behold, you are nothing, and your work is nought; an abomination is he who chooses you." (Isaiah 41:24 RSV)
Fact Finder: How did Jesus Christ summarize the First Commandment?
This Week's Bible Quiz
1. How long was Lazarus dead before Jesus restored him to life?
2. What wicked queen was trampled to death by horses?
3. Which apostle walked on the water with Jesus Christ?
5. In what town did Saul consult a witch?
6. What was the name of Saul's son who was a good friend of David?
7. What prophet was swallowed by a whale?
8. What prophet interpreted King Nebuchadnezzar's dream of a great statue?
9. Which Israelite king did the Queen Of Sheba come to visit?
10. What was the name of Esther's older cousin who raised her as his own daughter?
For the answers to this October 24 2000 quiz, see the Bible Quiz Answers Page