The Two Kinds Of Pride
by Wayne Blank
What Does The Bible Say About Pride?
Selfish pride is sin:
"Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate." (Proverbs 8:13 RSV)
God will humble those who don't humble themselves:
"And if in spite of this you will not hearken to me, then I will chastise you again sevenfold for your sins, and I will break the pride of your power, and I will make your heavens like iron and your earth like brass; and your strength shall be spent in vain, for your land shall not yield its increase, and the trees of the land shall not yield their fruit. Then if you walk contrary to me, and will not hearken to me, I will bring more plagues upon you, sevenfold as many as your sins." (Leviticus 26:18-21 RSV)
The Bible also speaks of a good form of pride, but there is a difference - it's based on a pride for others who are living in obedience to God.
"Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, and make holiness perfect in the fear of God. Open your hearts to us; we have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have taken advantage of no one. I do not say this to condemn you, for I said before that you are in our hearts, to die together and to live together. I have great confidence in you; I have great pride in you" (2 Corinthians 7:1-4 RSV)
Fact Finder: Does "God oppose the proud, but give grace to the humble"?
This Week's Bible Quiz
What's the missing word? (Revised Standard Version)
1. "Then _______, when he saw that he had been tricked by the wise men, was in a furious rage, and he sent and killed all the male children in Bethlehem and in all that region who were two years old or under" (Matthew 2:16)
2. "In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of _______, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matthew 3:1-2)
3. "You are the _______ of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid." (Matthew 5:14)
4. "Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the _______; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them" (Matthew 5:17)
5. "He said, "Come." So _______ got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus" (Matthew 14:29)
6. "Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the _______ of the living God." (Matthew 16:16)
7. "And when they drew near to Jerusalem and came to Bethphage, to the Mount of _______" (Matthew 21:1)
8. "So when you see the desolating sacrilege spoken of by the prophet _______, standing in the holy place, let the reader understand, then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains" (Matthew 24:15-16)
9. "Now on the first day of _______ Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Where will you have us prepare for you to eat the Passover?" (Matthew 26:17)
10. "When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named _______, who also was a disciple of Jesus. He went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then Pilate ordered it to be given to him" (Matthew 27:57-58)
For the answers to this December 31 2002 quiz, see the Bible Quiz Answers Page